Element Playlist #02 - Maité’s Element Mixtape
Everything I do in life, school, skating, work, chilling,… I do while I listen to music. I make a lot of mixtapes on spotify. One for every feeling I have or one for every situation I’m in. Of course chilling with your friends isn’t the same without music and my friends make a big part of my life. So I picked every song carefully to make a mix I will be proud of. When Element asked me to make a mixtape for the website, I wanted to make one big mix, the mother of all my mixtapes. I hope you’ll enjoy it.
1. White Flag - Dido
I reconnected with this song during the Element Peace trip to Paris. Madars put this song on and I was like “Damn, I reeeaaaallly love this song, this is a good one.” Since then I listen to it daily.
2. I gotta find peace of mind – Ms Lauryn Hill
This is my favourite song in the whoooooole universe. Sow yeah of course, I HAD to put this song in this mix. Thank you Lauryn for making this beauty of a song.
3. Rusty – Tyler the Creator
This is my friend’s Leo favourite song of Tyler. The same for me! When Tyler came to Dour festival he gave the BEST performance. In the end, he threw his golf shirt in the public. People fought for it for like an hour until the security stopped it and threw the shirt in the garbage. After the concert, my friends and I were cooling down from the best moment ever. And suddenly Leo (who we had lost for some time) came to us, hiding something under his arm. It was Tyler’s shirt!!!!! We all freaked out. Leo cut a piece of the shirt for me. I was super ultra mega happy! Until this day, it’s still framed in my room. So Leo this one is for you, peace bro!
4. Loose yourself to dance - Daft Punk, Pharrel WilliamsThis is one of Penelope’s favourites. She is my best friend. Every time I put this song on, we all just … loose ourselves to dance haha. Penelope, bruur, this one is for you! Shout out to Nana.
5. Purity - A$AP Rocky, Frank Ocean
When I first listened to this song, I had goosebumps. Not the scary ones, the happy ones. If you listen clearly you hear my favourite song on the background. Lauryn Hill, A$AP Rocky AND Frankie Ocean combined, it’s an explosion of … purity. I can’t say it any different. (still trying to learn the lyrics of Frank’s part)
6. Wish I didn’t miss you - Angie stone
This is just a … topplaat. I can’t say in English haha. This is the song I sang when we went to the karaoke bar in Paris while we were on a trip. Had the best times. Shout out to my mama! Love you <3 Without her I would never know this song existed.
7. Pink + white - Frank Ocean
I just love Frank Ocean. I can’t say it enough. This song reminds me of Renée. Recently she dyed her hair pink. But now it has turned white haha. This song fits her perfectly. Renée, hope you’ll like your song in this mixtape. Ly xxx
8. Home again - Michael Kiwanuka
This song is one of the favourite songs of Kato. She is one of my best friends. This song brings me op my gemakske haha. When I hear it I look back to the good summer times at Noorderkasteel or the chilling times we had at my oma. Kato, I hope you will enjoy it because this one is for you.
9. F-Stop blues - Jack Johnson
It’s one of the first songs Joe taught me on the guitar. Joe and I have a deal. He teaches me to play the guitar and I help him with skating. He is my big bro and we always have the best time together, sow Joe, enjoy your song!
10. This must be the place - Talking HeadsImagine a beautiful summer day in Antwerp. Sitting with Donald in ‘de botanische tuin’ with a blanket, a box and a big fat sandwich. If someone says ‘gaan we een botanisch tuintje doen?’ Then you know hoelaat it is haha. Botanische tuin is our chill spot in the city. In the summer all the flowers are in bloom. It’s just the best place to be. Just hearing this song, it brings me back to those times. Can’t wait for next summer haha.
11. Pyramids - Frank Ocean
Yes, I know what you’re thinking. “Another Frank Ocean song, pffff…”. I know, I know. But I just can’t have enough of Frankie. This one is my favourite song of him. The same for Benjamin, one of my best friends. When we listen to it, we just feel … like we’re flying. It’s a very long song, but it’s like two songs melted in one genius volcano of pure melody. Benjamin, you got the ender of my mixtape because you are my Cleopatra haha. Enjoy, bruur, enjoy!